<span class="highlight">Carson</span> <span class="highlight">River</span> <span class="highlight">Track</span>

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:33
ThreadID: 83883 Views:4590 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Further to ThreadID: 78562 does anyone have any info whether permission was sought / granted for this trip? & if so did the trip go ahead? or have any other trips gone through the full length from Home Valley to Kalumburu?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 15:08

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 15:08
I can't get to 78562, can you give us a link?

We have driven the western end of the Carson River Track as far as the King George River (and the boundary with Oombulguri land) a couple of times with permissions from Kalumburu. Permissions were quite difficult to get. They were before Carson Station was leased out, so may be very different now. Ask Mick O.
In 2007 we drove from Home Valley to Oombulgurri community. That bit took 3 days. It had taken 12 months to get permission and we had a very good reason. The permit allowed us to drive right through, but I checked out the Lovejoy Jump-up 20 odd km north of Oombulgurri and I guessed that it might take us 3 days to get up it in its then condition, so we came home by barge.
I am fairly sure that a single vehicle had been right through earlier in 2007 and know that one Customs and one Police vehicle went through in 2006. I am not aware of any other recent crossings, but have not followed it since either.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 443000

Follow Up By: Member - Perry H (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 16:55

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 16:55
Hi Peter,
There are two threads referencing recent proposed trips & I will pm both to get some info.
Site Link

Site Link

Thanks for your reply - I have scoured all info on this forum already and read your responses to the other threads raised on this trip over the years - very interesting. I do plan to travel the track in 2012 & am familiar with the permit approvals process ( hence my start on planning now).
Will also drop MickO a line, he has given me some very helpful info previously - I had forgotten he was out this way last year
FollowupID: 715064

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 18:07

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 18:07
Perry, Oombulgurri is a closed community so a a formal application to transit may well get you a formal "NO" in response.
It is not possible to bypass the community on the way through.
I would be making some effort to get an invitation to visit residents of the community prior to making an application.
Good luck. Lets know how you go.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
FollowupID: 715071

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 09:16

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 09:16
Ommbi I think you will find really is a closed community now. I heard the shop has closed & there are only a handful of locals left there.
Most have gone to Wyndham & Kunna's.
Essential services (power & water) staff have withdrawn, periodic visits from service crew keep gen sets & water pumps going.
FollowupID: 715126

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:47

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:47
Tony, a lot of people from remote communities in the Kimberley move out for the Wet, cheers. Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 715143

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 15:28

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 15:28
Friends of ours did this track last year all the way through. They had another vehicle with them. We have watched the cd of their trip and suggest if you are planning that particular trip to definitely take all the equipment you can, ie GPS, Sat phone or VHS, even an Epirb. Our friends had no problems except at times they had trouble finding where the track was. Would be a fantastic trip if you do it.
As I recall they did need permits but not sure which ones and from where or how long it took to get them.
MM me if you would like more info.

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 443001

Reply By: Kanga1 - Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 18:01

Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011 at 18:01
Hi Perry, give Diggers Rest Station a buzz on 08 9161 1029 . They run a 10 and 14 day trek through there each year on horseback and should be able to give you some idea of conditions. Good luck and put a new thread up when you have completed the Carson, there would be a few on here that would be interested to know about that track. Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 443014

Reply By: Member - Roger S (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:19

Wednesday, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:19
HI Perry its great to read about this track. I would love to go back to this area and to go on this track. I tried unsuccessfully in Feb 2010 to access the track but probably didn't give enough notice. The sticking point appeared to be the lease holder who said that he would be asked to retrieve anyone who got stuck. Lastly what kind of reasoning do you need put down to access the area.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 443075

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 20:23

Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 20:23
Perry,

The Carson River track is treacherous and we have been reliably informed, not suitable for vehicles travelling from the north downwards. The track still exists in fair form through to King George Sound (anecdotal info from locals provided in July 2010. We did not travel it. ) We headed in towards bull dust yard past Carson River Station and then into the Drysdale itself. We were informed that once south of the King George River the road has largely been washed away and disappeared. In some locations the old crossings are now sheer washaways many metres deep. We managed to obtain permissions (through a network and contacts) but did not have the time to attempt the track. Anything south of King George we were intending to scout on the quads.

We did manage to locate the old tracks down to the Carson River, and Old Theda Station and at the rates they are disappearing, I can only imagine just how bad the Carson River Track is.Kalumburu community stated that it had been at least three years that they were aware of that anyone had attempted the track south, and that they weren't successful.

Carson River Station is currently leased by the Kalumburu Aboriginal Corporation and permits to camp at Bull dust Yard can be obtained from the community office on your arrival at Kalumburu. I’ve just arrived home from a week away. Have your MM and will reply soonest.

Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 443366

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 22:23

Friday, Jan 28, 2011 at 22:23
"it had been at least three years that they were aware of that anyone had attempted the track south, and that they weren't successful."
Now there's a challenge that needs to be met Mick :-)
Cheers Craig........
FollowupID: 715422

Sponsored Links